Sunday, September 27, 2015

Intruder Alert: Confirmed Poop on the Sink

I am still new to "tropical living". There is much to get used to- from the size and appliances in the kitchen (no oven, no gas, only one person can fit at a time, etc) to always having dirty feet because the bottoms are always sticky and it's too hot to wear socks. I feel like every single day, I am learning new facets of a different life and a different way to live.

So, I admit, this particular mystery took me a while to figure out. Because I am super into insects (and dead things), every little bit and spec, moving or not catches my eye. I often stare at fallen leaves, crumpled discarded tissues, tire shards, fallen tree bits and rubber peelings imagining possible movement or the creature it once was. I stop, approach slowly and move my face as close as I can before I figure out that my imagination is getting the best of me.

As mentioned above, our kitchen is pretty small. There is a two compartment sink, but it is very shallow and not very large. If you cook one meal, it is respectful to clean the dishes shortly there after only because there is no room for anything else to happen. Therefore, I frequently find myself doing the dishes. It did not take long for me to notice the little "brown crumbs" that almost looked like dried pieces of fried rice on the upper ledge of the sink, mostly where one would place a sponge to dry. I would wipe it clean and not think of it again. Then the next day, there would be another piece of fried rice. Then a few more. I started to realize, "Hey!! This is probably poop!!" and immediately started trying to find traces of mice. These turds on the sink, look similar to mouse poops but a tiny bit larger, less cylindrical and smooth and much less abundant. Whenever I would walk into the kitchen, I would look up, around, down, across, and beneath searching for clues. I found nothing. But I have also been going to bed quite early and maybe missing some key research. For the past 4 or 5 nights, I have been up a little later and made it a point to check out the kitchen.

"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot this is Alfa Charlie Bravo, we have a 10-99er- the cobra is in the hen house eating the popcorn. I repeat, the cobra is in the hen house. Over."

Turns out, there are about three species of visiting geckos in our kitchen. I could be mistaken, because one of these species does turn from light to dark. Further investigation is needed and in development as I type.
*Poopeater Out.


{Thanks to HKU Reptiles of Hong Kong and Mongabay.com for photos}


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have wanted a pet since you arrived. Now you have three. How cute! Wonder what they get from the sink? Maybe water? Put out a dish for them......if your roomie will allow. You probably already did that.................xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete